“We have taken enhanced health and safety measures—for all of our attendees and staff. You must follow all social distancing guidelines. An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, senior citizens and Guests with underlying medical conditions are especially vulnerable. By visiting this event you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19. Let’s help keep each other healthy.”
City staff and Sanding Ovations committee members will continue to monitor COVID-19 and recommended CDC guidelines to adjust procedures accordingly. The event has established rules that encourage social distancing, hand-washing and other protective measures based on the CDC guidelines. In keeping with those guidelines, the City has modified the 2020 Sanding Ovations event. Additionally, the event committee has identified all potential areas in which crowds can gather and have modified or eliminated those areas.
- Vendors spaces will be set up apart. No merchandise can be sold in the six-foot area between tents.
- Vendors are to self-monitor their vendor space to ensure adequate social distancing measures are adhered to.
- Depending on the current county ordinance at the time of the event, the requiring of masks will be required by all vendors.
- Cashless transactions encouraged
- Vendor is responsible for cleaning and sanitizing vendor space
- No food or non-food samples will be permitted in vendor space
- Elimination of seating areas throughout the event to increase fluidity of event
- Food vendors will be inspected by the Department of Professional Regulations prior to opening of food concessions
- The Main Stage has been eliminated to reduce crowding/gathering
- Two 12×16 platform stages will be installed for smaller performances and entertainment
- Entertainment will also include mobile/roving performances
- Local bands/entertainers instead of national/regional touring headliners
- This year, there will not be a Masters Cup Competition due to travel restrictions for international sculptors
- A themed sand exhibition will replace the competition. The sand sculptures will be spaced 30+ feet apart for viewing and crowd gathering.
- Sponsorship sculpture will be erected
- The Veteran’s Fall Fly Kite Festival has been incorporated into Sandhenge event. The kites will be flown north of the sand sculptures
- The event will adhere to Pinellas County Ordinance 20-14 on Bars/Restaurants if in effect during the event.
- Instead of two bars, the City will be installing one main bar with designated one-way in/out lines. The bar will have five service pods, with one person serving the beverage and one person taking the payment at each pod.
- Instead of the second bar, we will have 2-3 pop-up beverage tents selling only canned beer.
- Cashless bars
- Bars will be manned by licensed bartenders and managed by Sloppy Joes.
- No seating or gathering areas at the bar
Off-site Bus Shuttles
- Bus capacity will be reduced, and seating limited to every other seat
- Buses will be sanitized throughout event
- Social distancing signs will be placed throughout the event
- Social distancing guidelines and protocols will be advertised on event website
- The event will adhere to Pinellas County Ordinance 20-14 on face coverings if in effect during the event. Staff, bartenders and volunteers will be encouraged to wear masks
Hand Sanitizing Stations
- Hand sanitizing stations will be installed throughout the event area especially at all main entrances/exits
- In lieu of port-o-lets, the city will be utilizing restroom trailers with hand washing sinks.
- Restroom facilities available at Gulf Front Park
- City staff will clean and sanitize the restroom trailers and Gulf Font Park restrooms on a regular schedule throughout the event
- Volunteers will be used as “space force” to encourage event participants to social distance
- Require all staff and volunteers who feel ill or display any COVID-19 symptoms to not report for their shift. Medical notes will be required for staff to return to work.
- Require all staff, volunteers, vendors to maintain good personal hygiene and enforce regular hand washing/sanitizer
Crowd Areas Identified and Modified
- Main stage has been eliminated
- The VIP/Sponsorship tent area has been eliminated. Sponsors will be given a wrist band to obtain FREE beverages from the bar or beer tubs
- The Meet the Masters event has been converted to a virtual event